In this era of social media we can all agree that the #selfie is a true art form. The portrait snapping talent has gone from simple and fun, to a full-on strategized operation. Yes it can be annoying at times, but come on, we all do it! At the beach, or a night out with your friends we have mastered the solo snap. But, there’s always room for improvement, which is why the experts at Perfect365, Arcsoft’s award-winning free makeover app, have pulled together some tips to make sure your summer selfies picture-perfect.
Tips for taking the best summer selfies from Caroline Tien-Spalding, Perfect365’s in-house professional photographer:
1. Pay attention to the lighting: Harsh lighting can give your skin a strange hue or cast shadows that change the shape of your face, so pay attention. When you’re indoors, turn off your camera’s flash to avoid looking washed out. When you’re outdoors, look for a spot with natural lighting.
2. The sunset is your best friend: The hour or two before sunset is the best time to take outdoor photos because it provides the softest outdoor lighting.
3. Duck for cover: If you’re taking a photo mid-day, you’ll want to find a shaded spot. That’s when UVs are the strongest, which often causes washed out photos and harsh unflattering shadows also known as “raccoon eyes”.
4. Work your angles baby: The most flattering look for most people is a slight turned head, where only one ear is visible from the frame. This will naturally slim your face and make your cheekbones pop.
5. Watch how low you hold the camera: If you’re not careful holding the camera too low, you’ll discover a double chin you never had. For most, camera at forehead level yields the best results.
6. Show off your location: Stand in front of a landmark – the ocean, a tropical setting, even the front of your hotel – and add a little interest into the photo. That being said, watch out for protruding building/tree parts, you don’t want to look like you’re growing a branch out of your head!
photo source: huffington post